March 19, 2012
- Registration for the open round of the 2012 US Aeropress Championship will open on Friday, March 23 at 10 AM PDT (11 AM Mountain, 12 PM Central, 1 PM Eastern).
- The registration form will be available on this website at that time.
- There are 21 available spots in the first round of the competition.
- Three spots will be reserved for competitors from each of the six regions, using the regional map used for the USBC (SW, NE, SE, NC, SC). Six spots will be reserved for the home/host region – the NW (WA, OR, AK, ID, WY, MT).
- Any of the unclaimed spots from the six regions still open on Friday, March 30 at 10 AM PDT will be given to remaining competitors on a first-come basis (based on the time-stamp of registration submissions).
- The 2012 United States AeroPress Competition is open only to US residents holding a US Passport.
- All competitors must be able to travel to Portland, Oregon for the competition at the Oregon Convention Center inside the SCAA Expo. Competition begins at 11 AM on Friday, April 20, 2012. (For those competitors who need it, entry into the SCAA Expo for the purposes of the competition will be arranged by host sponsor La Marzocco.)
- Two stand-by competitors will be identified prior to the competition and will take the place for any competitors who are unable to make it to the competition or who drop-out (or don’t show) on the day.
- Competitors will receive confirmation by email that they are registered for the competition.
The competition will occur in 3 rounds, with the winning competitors moving onto the next round.
- First/Open Round - Open round, 21 spots available for competitors. Compete 3-at-a-time with the winner of each heat advancing.
- Semi-Finals Round - Top 7 from the first round will be joined by the two regional champions (NW and NE) for a total of 9 competitors (3 rounds of 3). The three winning pressers will advance to the finals round.
- Finals Round - Top 3 competitors will compete for the title of US AeroPress Champion.
Competitor may use any coffee they choose provided it is 14 months off harvest (harvested in 2011 or 2012). The coffee being used, and recipe, must be disclosed in advance to the head judge.
Semi-Finals Round and Finals Round
The coffee will be provided by the US AeroPress Championship. Origin and roaster will be announced by April 1. Samples of this coffee will be available for pick-up in Portland on the week prior to the 2012 USAC. The same roast profile of this coffee will be available to all semi-finals competitors on the day of the competition.
Those of your from the States who have already applied for the WACs will be automatically forwarded to the USAC competition – keeping in mind places are limited.
More information is on the US Aeropress Championship tumblr.