Results are in from Scotland, where something like 250 coffee loving Scots gathered to crown a champion. Hosts Dear Green Coffee Roasters have this fantastic gallery on FaceBook, while we have the winners and their recipes below:
1st Place – Claire Wallace
Barista, Machina Espresso, Edinburgh
- 17g coffee, fine filter grind, add 40g water,
- pre infuse for 30 seconds, stir three times,
- immediately add 180g water,
- stir three times @ 1 minute.
- Long, slow 50 second pour to finish @ 2 minutes.
- Top up final beverage with 20g water!
2nd Place – Bryan Serwatka
Head of Drinks, Riverhill
- 15.7g of coffee ground medium fine – slightly coarser than espresso
- Add 6g splash of cold water to inverted Aeropress, then add coffee
- Add 60g of 86°C water, stir 4 times, bloom for 1:05
- Stir once, add 155g water @ 75-78°C – leave until 2:00 mark
- Stir once, invert, slowly plunge into cooled vessel until 2:50 mark, leaving around 15-25g in the Aeropress
3rd Place – Dean Fairbairn
Barista, Cult Espresso, Edinburgh
- 17.5 grams coffee
- 260 grams of water at 76 degrees
- flush paper
- steam grind to loosen solubles
- fill, no bloom
- slow 1 minute extraction
The results are in for the 2015 English AeroPress Championship!
1st Place – Paulina (Kaffeine)
- 15,5 g coffee
- 85C water temperature
- Inverted method
- Paper filter
- 0-0:30 s Add 50 g of water and stir 3 times
- 0:30- 1:00 Pour water to 100 g and stir once
- 1:00-2:00 Add 135 g put the lid on top and push out the air
- 2:00-2:30 Flip aeropress and push gently for 30 s
2nd Place – James (Workshop Coffee Co.)
- Religiously sort through your coffee (discard pales, insect damaged beans, chipped/nicked beans, smaller sizes and so on
- Pre-heat Aeropress chamber
- Load two paper filters into cap and rinse thoroughly
- Fill your Bonavita kettle with SPA water, and set to heat to 95C
- Weigh out 60g coffee
- Thwack the grinder to remove anyone else’s chaff and whatnot
- Set the dial to give you a medium-to-coarse grind size (EK43, coffee burrs)
- Grind a small handful of beans through, but don’t thwack, leave the motor running
- Grind your dose, catching it with a large paper cup, leaving the final few grams of coffee grounds to fall onto the table (of course,sweep them up once you’ve brewed your coffee!)
- Transfer the grounds into another large paper cup, leaving any fines and chaff sticking to the walls – don’t tap the bottom or thwack the grinder!
- Tip the grounds into a large mesh sieve resting atop a fine mesh sieve (again, don’t tap the bottom of your cup, leave the stuff that clings to the walls behind)
- Start sieving, catching the grounds that make their way through the top sieve in the bottom sieve
- The aim here is to remove boulders by discarding grounds left behind in the top sieve, and to remove fines by sieving them out of the bottom sieve (it is courteous to lay down a tea towel and sieve away from other competitors, in case there’s a slight breeze in the room)
- Once you’re happy the boulders are isolated, and you’re no longer peppering your tea towel with fines, you are ready to brew (this should be at around 2 minutes into your 8 minutes prep/brew time)
- Add 21g coffee to the pre-heated Aeropress, assembled in the inverted position
- Add 50g water at 95C and stir steadily for 20 seconds (use a paddle with a sharp point to make sure you can get into the corners – you don’t want grounds sticking to the rubber bung)
- Top up to 240g total water weight by 40 seconds and stir for another 20 seconds
- Screw the cap into place, and squeeze the chamber down to remove any air – you should see oils and water start to bead on the cap (wipe this away with a clean towel)
- Carefully flip the Aeropress onto a clean, glass decanter (don’t pre-heat this)
- At 1:30 start to plunge very, very slowly
- You want to get down to the oils on top of the brew slurry at 2:30, and try to avoid pressing them through into your decanter
- Push the plunger back up half a centimetre, to avoid dripping out the side of the brew chamber when removing the Aeropress
- Gently stir the brewed coffee and taste (if it’s no good, start again immediately; if it’s good, carry on)
- You need to serve 200ml coffee to the judges, and so will need to dilute with at least 10g more water
- Transfer into another clean and cool glass decanter, weighing as you go
- Top up with your SPA water to 200g beverage weight, and taste again
- Dilute to taste (in 5g increments) aiming for a prominent sweetness, defining and characterful acidity, a juicy mouthfeel and a good intensity and vibrancy of flavour (remember your judges are drinking lots of coffee – don’t go too subtle and diluted)
- When happy with the flavour, transfer into a clean cupping bowl
- Use your final 2 minutes to clean down and restart the bench for the next competitor
Third Place – Veronica (Bulldog Edition)
- inverted method,
- sort the beans and get rid of quakers and defects,
- 14g of coffee at 6,5 grind on the ek,
- waitrose essential water at 85 degrees,
- 50 grams of water in,
- stir NSEW method,
- 30 sec bloom, then rest of the water in (its altogether 230g of water),
- stir again, then wait until 1:15
- do 30 sec plunge so it is finished at 1:45.
Both Square Mile Coffee Roasters and Workshop Coffee Co. put on a fantastic event, with the demolition of 12 kegs of Kernel Brewery Pale Ale, and many, many kilograms of Miss P’s BBQ.
After much back-and-forth, to-and-fro, the homeland tournament of the AeroPress itself is finally confirmed!
The 2015 United States AeroPress Championship is the hunt for the US Champion to represent both stars and spangles at the World AeroPress Championships in Seattle on April 9th 2015. Shrouded in glory, praised in hushed whispers — will you be the one?
The competition is taking place on March 29th at 6:00pm, at Underline Coffee, 511 W 20th Street, New York (that’s underneath the High Line, ya dingus). Competitor registration is on the Underline website, and once entered, you will be sent a confirmation email and soon thereafter, competition rules.
With coffee, beer, toast, cakes, music and a special guest coffee celebrity judging panel of Cora Lambert, Deaton ‘Notorious PIG’ Pigot, Erin McCarthy and Theresa von Fuchs, this United States AeroPress Championship is the place to be.
Things kick off at 12:00, at “Goldfassl Magazin”, ottakringer platz 1
72 competitors people. 72 competitors!